District Director
Elaine Curry, DTM

Greetings District 8 Toastmasters!

My, my, my how time flies. We are just shy of two months into the 2018-2019 Toastmaster year. Your District leadership (called the Trio) Angie Breinin( Club Growth Director) , James Childress (Program Quality Director), and yours truly (District Director) have just returned from Chicago, IL after attending two intense days of District Leadership training from Toastmasters International (aka TI) and four exciting days of education sessions, the TI annual business meeting and the Toastmasters World Championship Contest.  We witnessed history at the contest.  It was the first time ever that three women were 1st, 2nd and 3rd place out of the ten finalists competing for World Champion Speaker.  What a thrill to be present.

Those of us in Chicago gathered together to see our District 8 contest winner, Robert Washington of Monsanto Noontime Toastmasters, compete in the semi-finals.  We were so proud.  The competition was fierce.  Thank you Robert for representing our District.

During our District Leadership Training we learned so much that we came back feeling like we had information overload. However, as we started to digest the information, our energy was renewed and we came back charged up and ready to lead you into being the best you can be.

I want to share some exciting, new strategies that can make our clubs even more successful:

  1. We must all be engaged.  One of the leaders encouraged us to exercise the 80 / 20 rule in this way.  Spend 80% of our time retaining our membership by enhancing the quality of our club meetings.  He told us to recognize the successes of club members. Spend the remaining 20% on chartering new clubs and building membership.  This formula may sound simple and easy, but do not under-estimate what it takes to focus on your clubs quality and engaged meetings.[spacer height=”20px”]
  2. We want to help you.  We will be following up with your Area and Division Directors on a monthly basis to track your progress.   When you need help, do not be afraid to ask for it.[spacer height=”20px”]
  3. Encourage your club officers to share the Club Success Plan with everyone in the club.  Do your part.  Set a goal for yourself to support the club’s success.  Write out your annual goal.  Remember, “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail”.  What you can track you can measure. If you need a mentor or accountability partner to help you stay on track, talk to your club VPE or President.[spacer height=”20px”]
  4. Do not suffer in silence.  Throughout this year, you will be offered training, networking conferences and the opportunity to develop leadership skills and communication enhancement.

Let’s keep in touch.  It is only with a united front that we can be at next year’s convention among the District’s Leaders who walk across the stage accepting recognition for being distinguished.  You all are worthy and ready to accept the challenge.  Won’t you work with us as we work with you?

I am proud to be your District Director this Toastmaster year and look forward to your support.

Lean on your trio and other district officers to walk with you in this journey.  Please keep your eye on the District 8 website (dist8tm.org).  We will be communicating with you regularly about upcoming events.  Check the calendar frequently and the news that is shared.

Mark your calendar for Oct. 6, 2018. Regional 5 Advisor, Heather Perkins, will visit our District during our District 8 Leadership Expo.  Please check dist8tm.org for the latest updates on the program.

Let’s do this together.  District 8 rocks!!!

Elaine Curry

District Director – District 8 2018-2019
Toastmasters – Where Leaders are Made
email: wecurry2001@aol.com
Tel. 618-416-4448 Home